Poetry Culminating Project Ideas – Grade 10
Option 1: For students who wish to write their own poetry
Write 8 original poems, not from the class work. Challenge yourself to use an overarching theme, such as love poetry, poems about animals or school life, etc., that relates to all the poems in some way.
Option 2: For students who wish to analyze and collect the poems of others
Select 8 poems to include in a poetry anthology. Select poems based on a specific theme that appeals to you. Do not use the example poems from class.
Option 3: For students who wish to analyze a collection of poems by one author
Select 8 poems written by the same poet to include in an anthology. Do not use the example poems from class.
All projects must include, in this order:
- Title page
- Introduction (1 paragraph telling the reader what to expect)
- Table of Contents
- And an explanation for each poem as to why this poem is included in the collection (5-8 sentences).
- The explanation should state why this poem is of particular appeal to you and how it fits with other poems in the collection.
- It must also identify at least one of the poetic devices studied in class.
- Short bio of the student author or editor (that’s you!) – 1 paragraph
There must be at least EIGHT of the following poetic devices in each collection:
- Blank Verse
- Free Verse
- Iambic Pentameter
- Lyric Poem
Make sure to point out the device(s) you find in each poem in your explanations.
The final project will be due on May 10, 2012.
Time in the library and/or computer lab will scheduled during class time.
Late assignments will be marked down by 10%.
Title Page /5
Table of contents /5
Student bio /5